Because I said so
March 17, 2008
J.Daymon Cole~For my
children
I am your parent…because I said so
I said yes to that responsibility, that joy
I said yes, I do want that girlAnd that boy
And so now here you are
So full of lightAnd I’m here to guide you, and that is my right
Because I said so.
Because I said so
Yes~those words sometimes chafe
But without them, how could I keep you safe?I know that to you, those words aren’t kind
They seem to do nothing for you, only bind
And I know that right now, you don’t understand
And you feel like I’m always there, holding your hand
And in a way, I am
Because I said so
"Because I said so,"
It turns out, means much moreThan restricting your life or assigning some chore
Because I said so..it’s my job, can’t you see?
It’s the thing that God gave, when he gave you to me
Because I said so,
I have watched as you growAnd with every moment, I have had to let go
Because I said so,
I watch as you chooseI must cheer as you win
Console when you lose
I must help you to see that there’s value in both
That both will contribute so much to your growth
Because I said so,
I must hold on, it’s trueBut you never notice, when I let go of you
You probably don’t see how it tears at my heart
When I let you go somewhere without me, apart
You probably don’t know, I worry each minute
I can’t wait until I check your bed, and you’re in it!
Because I said so,
I say “No, not today.”But I also must watch you, as you grow away
I must give you freedoms, before I am ready
I must give you bounds, and that makes my heart heavy
I must know the difference, because you don’t, yet
I must hold firm, I cannot relent
Because I said so,
I must listen to youI must ask the right questions, I must see them through
I must require accountability,
But acknowledge you’re a child
How best do I teach you...I have such a short while!
All that I want for you is the best
The safest, the utmost, the pinnacle, the crest!I must remain steady, yet I have to bend
I must be here for you, and I am~without end
Because I said so
Because I said so,
I am grateful for youFor the things that you’ve taught me
The stuff we’ve been through
And the stuff we’ll still go through,
And yes, we’ll survive!
(My parents had ME, and they’re still alive!)
Because I said so,
I will tell you “I love you”In front of your friends, I will kiss and will hug you
I will fuss and I’ll tease
I’ll correct and appease
And one day, in a mirror, I promise,
You’ll see
Because I said so, that
"Because I said so,"
Is giving, and takingIt’s holding, releasing, healing and breaking
It’s yes, and it’s maybe, and “definitely no!”
Sometimes it’s saying “I tried to tell you so.”
It’s love, understanding, a laugh and a smile
It’s letting you know
You’re worth that extra mile
Because I said so,
It’s my privilege, my assignmentIt came to me wrapped up in you:
My consignment.
Because I said so,
You will always beMy treasure, my precious
My child…you see?
Because I said so,
I will watch you with prideI’ll delight in your changes
I will be by your side
I’ll encourage, I’ll discipline,
I’ll delight as you grow
I will do all of this
But I’ll never let go.
Because I said so.
No comments:
Post a Comment